About Cate Marquis

0 Flares 0 Flares ×

AWFJ member Cate Marquis is a film critic and historian based in the St. Louis, MO area. She reviews film for the St. Louis Jewish Light weekly newspaper, Playback: stl website, and other publications. She is a longstanding member of AWFJ’s Movie of the Week team.

Cate’s father, artist Paul Marquis, introduced her to classic and silent films, as well as art and theater, at an early age, so she’s had a deep interest in film history and older films dating back to childhood. When she was in college, she was already a film historian, a member of several organizations and giving talks on early film history. And, while she was in grad school, she wrote reviews for the student newspaper. She says she doesn’t remember the first film she reviewed, but one film that started her thinking about film reviews and film analysis was Akira Kurosawa’s classic RASHOMON.

Cate currently lectures on film history, particularly the silent film era. She has served on the board of the Meramec Classic Film Festival and is a long-time collaborator with St. Louis International Film Festival, serving on various juries.

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 0 Flares ×

Cate Marquis

Cate Marquis is a film critic and historian based in the St. Louis, Missouri area. Marquis reviews film for the St. Louis Jewish Light weekly newspaper and Playback: stl website, as well as other publications. The daughter of artist Paul Marquis, she was introduced to classic and silent films by her father, as well as art and theater. Besides reviewing films, she lectures on film history, particularly the silent film era, has served on the board of the Meramec Classic Film Festival and is a long-time collaborator with the St. Louis International Film Festival, serving on various juries.