AWFJ Women On Film – Releasing August 14, 2009
AWFJ highlights films made by and about women:
Friday, August 19
- Bandslam – Summit Entertainment, 111 mins. – Teenage girls in a rising rock band battle the boys.
- District 9 – Sony Pictures, 111 mins.
- The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard – Paramount Vantage, 89 mins.
Grace – Anchor Bay, 85 mins, limited NY, LA – a horror drama about birthing
- It Might Get Loud – Sony Pictures, 97 mins., limited
- Ponyo – Walt Disney Pictures, 101 mins. – Hayao Miyazaki’s animated feature, based on Hans Christian Andersen’s fairy tale “The Little Mermaid.,“ focuses on a girl goldfish, named Ponyo, who wants to become human. Fab female voices include Cate Blanchett, Tina Fey, Cloris Leachman, Lily Tomlin and Betty White.
- The Time Traveler’s Wife – New Line Cinema, 108 mins. – Rachel McAdams as the unfortunate wife who loyally and lovingly stands by her time-traveling man.
- I Sell the Dead – IFC, 85 mins.
- Spread – Anchor Bay, 97 mins.
- Mein Fuhrer – First Run Features, 89 mins.
- Taxidermia – Regent Releasing, 91 mins.
- Earth Days – Zeitgeist, 100 mins – Rachel Carson and other women conservationists are pivotal characters in Robert Stone’s documentary about the early days of the environmental movement.
- The Pool Boys – Seven Arts Pictures, 89 mins.
- Cloud 9 (Wolke Neun) – Music Box Films, 98 mins – In this German feature, a middle aged woman must choose between her husband of 30 years and a new paramour who’s renewed romance and excitement in her life.