AWFJ highlights films made by and about women:
Friday, November 6
- Precious: Based on the Novel “Push” by Sapphire – Lionsgate, 110 mins., limited, expands November 13 and 20 – Based on the novel by Sapphire (Ramona Lofton), Lee Daniel’s highly anticipated feature is about an obese African-American teenage girl (Gabourey Sidibe) whose excellence in school is undermined by her home environment, where she is sexually abused and impregnated by her father, and emotionally abused by her mother (Mo’Nique). The film also features Mariah Carey and Paula Patton as a social worker and teacher respectively.
- A Christmas Carol – Walt Disney Pictures 3D, 96 mins. – This animated version of the Charles Dickens’ classic is heavily marketed holiday fare for kids — so most moms will probably wind up seeing it.
- The Box – Warner Bros, 115 mins.
- Endgame – Monterey Media, 109 mins., limited NY – Paula Milne wrote the screenplay for this feature about the end of Apartheid in South Africa.
- The Fourth Kind – Universal Pictures, 98 mins.
- Men Who Stare at Goats – Overture Films, 93 mins.
- Collapse – Cinetic Rights Management, 82 mins., limited, NY; LA release: Nov. 13)
- That Evening Sun – Freestyle Releasing, 110 mins., limited NY; LA release: Nov. 20)