AWFJ highlights films made by and about women:
Wednesday, November 18
- Red Cliff – Magnet Releasing, 148 mins., limited NY, opens wider November 25 – John Woo’s history epic features a great performances by actresses Wei Zhao as a heroic princess who refuses to let men do all the fighting in the battle to save the dynasty.
Friday, November 20
- The Twilight Saga: New Moon – Summit Entertainment, 130 mins. – The second installation in the ongoing vampire adventures, with screenplay penned by Melissa Rosenberg based on the best-selling novels of Stephenie Meyer
- The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans – First Look Studios, 121 mins, limited NY and LA, expands December 4
- The Blind Side – Warner Bros.
- Broken Embraces – Sony Pictures Classics, 127 mins., NY, releases LA December 11 – Pedro Amoldovar’s femme-centric film stars Penelope Cruz as a woman who’s caught between ambition born of necessity and her new found ability to love.
- Defamation – First Run Features, 91 mins.. limited NY, LA and San Francisco
- Fix – LAFCO, 93 mins., limited NY
- Mammoth – IFC Films, 125 mins., limited – An upscale NY family find their relationship with their live-in Filipino maid evolving, while the maid’s family in the Philippines struggles to deal with her absence.
- The Missing Person – Strand Releasing, 125 mins., limited NY
- Planet 51 – TriStar Pictures 3D
- That Evening Sun – Freestyle Releasing 110 mins., limited LA