AWFJ Women On Film – Releasing August 19 and 21, 2009
AWFJ highlights films made by and about women
Wednesday, August 19
- The Headless Woman (La Mujer sin Cabeza) – Strand Releasing, 87 mins. – Lucrecia Martel wrote and directed this troubling tale of about a woman who may have killed someone while driving and tries to find out what happened.
Friday, August 21
- Inglourious Basterds – Weinstein Company,152 mins. – Quentin Tarantino furthers his glorious record of creating strong female characters in Basterds, in which a young woman is pivotal to the story of a battalion of Jewish-American World War II soldiers who brutalize Nazis.
- Fifty Dead Men Walking – Phase 4 Films, 117 mins. – Inspired by the remarkable true story of the British undercover agent who successfully infiltrated the IRA, writer/director Kari Skogland’s fact-based thriller takes it’s title from author Martin McGartland’s best-selling novel of the same name.
- Five Minutes of Heaven – IFC, 90 mins.
- My One and Only – Freestyle Releasing, 90 mins. – Based on George Hamilton’s memoir, the film focuses on George’s mother, Ann Defraud (Renee Zellweger), who leaves her philandering husband and takes off on an ‘adventure’ during which she establishes her independence.
- Casi Divas – Maya Releasing, 107 mins., limited – Mexican director Issa Lopez’s film is a showbiz comedy in which four ambitious actresses try to out do each other to get cast in a hotshot producers new movie.
- Art & Copy – 7th Art, 90 mins.
- Post Grad – Fox Atomic, 89 mins – a femme-centric romcom about a college grad (Alexis Bledel) who moves back home to her quirky parents’ house while trying to figure out what to do with her life. Directed by Vicky Jenson (best known for her work on animated features such as “Shrek” and “Shark Tale”) and written by Kelly Fremon (whose script for “Streak” was directed by Demi Moore).
- Shorts – Warner Bros., 89 mins.
- World’s Greatest Dad – Magnolia Pictures, 99 mins.
- X Games 3D The Movie – Walt Disney Pictures
- The Baader Meinhof Complex (Der Baader Meinhof Komplex) – Vitagraph Films, 150 mins.
- Sikandar – Big Picture, 110 mins.
- Passing Strange: The Movie – IFC, 135 mins.
One thought on “AWFJ Women On Film – Releasing August 19 and 21, 2009”
Pingback: AWFJ Women On Film - The Week In Women, August 21, 2009 - MaryAnn Johanson - Alliance of Women Film Journalists -
Comments are closed.